Letter from the CEO
Sysco is currently in the midst of a three-year strategic plan that includes comprehensive goals to improve our customers’ experience, enhance Sysco associate engagement, and achieve financial objectives. At the core of this plan are key enablers, one of which is corporate social responsibility (CSR).
Our continued CSR and sustainability efforts, including community giving, operational excellence and industry-leading food safety programs, are fundamental to the success of our plan. These endeavors allow Sysco to deliver on customer and associate needs and expectations and provide increased operational efficiencies.
Throughout the past year, we have taken steps to enhance our CSR efforts. We set in motion several meaningful initiatives that will guide our work over the next few years, including launching an initiative to identify the most material CSR/sustainability issues for Sysco and develop goals and key performance indicators. These enhancements provide opportunities to work with stakeholders and deepen our collaboration with key suppliers, allowing greater innovation and more sustainable practices throughout the supply chain. Key highlights include:
- Introduced a new giving strategy to direct 75 percent of community donations and volunteerism toward hunger relief initiatives;
- Developed a three year roadmap to establish Diversity and Inclusion as a strategic component to operational, financial and competitive success;
- Advanced our commitment to increase sourcing of sustainable seafood and palm oil, and established a commitment to source cage-free eggs;
- Increased energy savings through new program enhancements and developed plans to install a new solar project at our San Diego operating company, along with LED lighting in all Broadline warehouse freezers in North America;
- Expanded our recycling program to more operating locations.
As the leader in the foodservice industry, we are responsible in respecting the environment and supporting the communities where we live and work. The following report highlights our commitments and objectives.
Chief Executive Officer